Austrian National Library
F+P ARCHITEKTEN ZT GMBH
Treberspurg & Partner Architekten Ziviltechniker GmbH
app. 1.100 m2
Austrian national Library
The Austrian National Library is one of the oldest libraries still in existence, dating back to around 1368. The baroque state hall on Josefsplatz was built between 1723 and 1726 and in 1966, a large reading room was built in the Neue Burg.
In the course of a renovation in the Neue Burg, the following adaptations were carried out in coordination with the Federal Monuments Office, taking into account the corporate design of the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek: A porter’s lodge to control access to the library, a circulation zone and guidance system for visitors, access to the reading areas on three levels with new staircases and a panoramic glass lift, installation of a gallery with reading places and bookshelves, adaptation of the periodicals reading room, new furniture in the reading rooms, acoustic and technical improvements as well as lighting redesign of all the above-mentioned areas.