F+P ARCHITEKTEN ZT GMBH
Arch. Prof. Adolf Krischanitz
app. 8.000 m2
21er house, Museum of the 20th century, general refurbishment and expansion
Originally built for the 1958 World’s Fair, the Austria Pavilion by architect Karl Schwanzer was later rebuilt in Vienna’s Schweizergarten and serve 1962-2001 as the city’s first museum for modern art. The renovation work on this historically protected building included the restoration of the steel structure and the reconstruction of the glass façades according to today’s thermal efficiency standards.
The exterior appearance of the pavilion, including the adjoining cinema, remained unchanged. In the basement, a showroom and a restaurant were built for the Wotruba Foundation with a view into a lowered atrium along Arsenalstraße, which is used as a sculpture garden. A second basement level houses the Artothek of the Federal Government for the storage of artworks from the federal buildings. A five-storey administrative tower has been constructed as a stand-alone building in the width of the forecourt.